Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Level Three, at Least

You know, back in school, Sister Mary Boniface would chuck an eraser at me almost every day, screaming, "Michael Logan! The devil's got a place for you, young man!" I just laughed - and ducked. I didn't believe in hell, and Sister MB was just talking out of her wimple.

Or that's what I thought until now. Somewhere, in a home for retired penguins, Sister Many-Bonyface is getting the last laugh. I'm in a toy store, four days before Christmas. I thought there was supposed to be a lake of ice and fire, not these plastic torture devices.

Cripes, who comes up with this stuff? Whoa, hey, Barbie's gotten a LOT sluttier than I remember her. Maybe the kid would like that...nah. I'm starting regret not going with my first instinct and picking him up a Ramones CD or two. It's never too early to start a Jackie Chan collection, either.

Finally, a clerk takes pity on me, and starts asking me questions, most of which I can't answer. Boy or girl, how old, developmentally advanced, motor skills, interests, favorite tv shows? Uh, boy, two or three, what? - we'll go with yes, how would I know, chewing on stuff, I guess, and kids that small watch tv?

I know what I don't want: that creepy red muppet thing that acts possessed, nothing that's gonna warp his mind, nothing potentially lethal, no firemen anything, and definitely not that...that thing that made the noise that made me want to puncture my own eardrums. I might buy it just to take it out back and shoot it.

I just went for basics, I guess, a stuffed dog and a drum. The clerk was awfully weird about the drum, though. Asked me like 5 or 6 times if I was sure. I got a gift slip in case he doesn't like it, and she handed me some coupons for aspirin, "In case he does."

9 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Sand art is always a great gift for people you are not too found of. Logan: I posted some lovely pics of you on my blog. What's the deal with the thumb??????

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

A drum - a parent's worst nightmare on Christmas morning. Or any morning, for that matter. I'd recommend stashing that one away, and just give him the stuffed dog. If you don't want Alex's entire family out to get you. Just a suggestion.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger ann said...

Bobby, this time you are sooooooo funny, you crack me up. Memories time ...... anyone who bought my children noisy toys, I made sure I reciprocated big time. (LOL)

Whatever musical instruments my children were learning, I used to make them practise at the end of the garden. It was a 120ft garden (LOL)

Mikey it's sweet you want to buy Eames nephew a gift, but take the drum back please, or you'll be drummed out the brownies. Try a jigsaw puzzle or maybe a book, then you could read it to him .... aaaaah that would be nice.

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

aahh, The Ramones!!
Parents don't like it when u buy their kids noisy items. My theory is, they don't live with me, what do I care if its loud. Of course, my brother & sister have since ban me from buying anything that isn't pre-approved.

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, Mikey, I have a cousin that age. I just bought him one of those huge bouncy balls. He is easily amused and it doesn't make noise.

~Sara

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Rule of thumb: If you like the parents the gift should be mess free and noiseless and if you don't particularly care for the parents then the gift should have the most pieces of anything you can find in the store! :)

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Books are always a great gift. Even for babies. Nice, quiet, educational books.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

I'm on your side. It's the thought that counts, and you tried.
Besides, Eames doesn't live with him. :)

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Ames said...

LOL Mike. Welcome to my hell.

There've been a few toys that we've "taken out back" at my store. One was beaten with a baseball bat and another was repeatedly run over by a Chevy Avalanche.

His parents might hate the drum, but he'll *love* it!

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home