Monday, December 19, 2005

Comedians, Cowards, Curiosity and Carolyn



First off, the round of lousy gifts has begun. Look what I found on my desk when I got in. Oh, ha ha, guys.

Secondly, I have no idea why nobody, and that does include Alex Eames, will eat lunch with me on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, which are the days I go to Wang's Discount Sushi. Now, I know Wang isn't really a Japanese name. In fact, a lot of Korean restaurants serve sushi, so it the sign didn't phase me much. It actually says Wang's (a lot of Korean characters) Sushi, but when I asked Goren about it, he said it basically amounted to "discount" and that was why he wasn't going so much as in the doorway. He also was nice enough to tell me what the cook had been calling me, although he said I should never say that out loud in public again. Seems the cook was really mad that I wasn't eating the kimchi. But since we resolved that, all is well. It's really clean and bright, and the mysterious fried sushi balls are actually really good, except when they're not. I have no idea why the most crowded I've ever seen the place is three other people. I do know why their t-shirts don't sell. I mean, saving on printing is one thing, but breaking it down to "Eat Wangs" is neither good marketing nor good grammar.

That aside, I was talking to Carolyn, who's been doing a lot of the work around here and seems a bit touchy about it. So to take the edge off, I promised to answer at least one question she asked me per day 100% truthfully for the rest of the week. Of course, she's probably going to be sorry she asked.
Today, she asked what I was doing for Christmas. I shrugged, and said "I don't know. Working, I guess. That's what I usually do."
"But what about after work? You can't pull a double on Christmas."
"Eh, maybe I will. Why, is that bad?"
"Don't you have any traditions, any family or friends thing?"
I gave her the "duh" look for that.
"Ok, so no family, but you do have friends."
"Who have families. Hell, Munch is even out, since it's first night this year on Christmas." She looked concerned, so I kept going. "It's fine. I'm used to it, really. It's just another day. I'll keep busy. For one thing, I'll probably be cleaning my place for a week after that damn party the ex is throwing."
"Why -"
"One question per day. Sure you don't want me to bring you something back?" She shook her head, and I took off.

16 Comments:

At 3:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So, u gonna wear that thing? I like it. ;^)
Sorry about your holiday situation. u still got a few days, maybe something will pan out for ya!!

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Well, I am hoping that Wang's will be open.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

Mikey, Mikey ... you've been living in NYC (and the outer boroughs) long enough to know that the ONLY sushi which you should dare eat should come from a crowded place. The more crowded, the fresher the fish. I myself prefer tempura; I don't like my food dangerous.

My men, on the other hand ...

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

And kimchi? You eat that pickled cabbage and NO (sober) woman is ever going to kiss you again!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

Oh, and by the way, I would like someone to please acknowledge the THOUSANDS of absolutely filthy jokes, innuendos and suggestions that I've declined to make, state and hint at concerning the whole subject of rotten-sushi and day-old-fish.

Oh yeah, I'm a lady. Mom must be so proud.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Hey Bogus -
How's this for an innuendo -
with the proper incentive, I will eat damn near anything.

Seriously, that's what's GREAT about Wang's. As near as I can guess, if the sushi sits on the buffet for too long, they grab, take it in back, dip it in tempura batter, and fry it. Sounds gross, but...

I'm not a kimichi fan for the most part. But I ate nearly a bucket of the stuff to shut Te (the cook )up. A pyrrhic vistory, to be sure.
Did you know they made Pepto-Bismol in pill form now?

Isabella - is this Izzy? Izzy, with the great legs?

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowza, Mike.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is Carolyn ever gonna blog for us again?

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

I'm swooning! Catch me before I fall ...

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger ann said...

thud

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

Is there any sushi that can be classed as good sushi? Actually, strike that. There are two places (yes, exactly 2) where I will actually buy sushi from. I'm strictly a vegeterian sushi girl, but these places do it good.

As for Wang's... (Could you even say that out loud without cringing?) As long as you haven't suffered any unwanted effects, what's the harm?

And as for spending Christmas alone, that's just wrong. Although, given a choice between working and spending it with my sister and her kids... Hhmmmm....

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

Ann: LOL! I think I have a boo-boo.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger ann said...

bogusboobs; LMHO

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Mike said...

In fact, Allie, the local Chipolte sees a lot of my business on the days I don't go to Wangs.
Tacos. MMMMM.

I hear you. Grinches unite. Say it with me "Bah, Hum- oh, who cares?
*clinks glass against yours*

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no White Castle's in the city?

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

Sorry I've been off the radar. Look's like everything's same old, same old for you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home