Tuesday, December 20, 2005

In Which Evasion Takes Place Anyway

So, I'm messing about at my desk, when Carolyn gets up and says, "Breaktime. You want a coffee, Logan?"
"Yes, I do, " I say, still trying to fool with what I'm working on."Hell of a way to waste your question for today."
"That's not fair!"
"Of course not. Life's not fair, sweetcheeks. You should have learned that already." She stomps off in a bit of a huff, but I'm still trying to finish this thing, so I don't watch her go. She comes back, and thumps a cup on desk, just as I give up.
"Here," I say, handing her the pencil and the string. "If you tie this, I'll give you another shot at it. Just tie a nice strong knot around the eraser end for me. Damn hand won't let me get anything done."
Since she's not working around a cast, she does it in a matter of seconds. "There. What on earth are you trying to do?"
"Pencil retrieval for when I toss it up into the ceiling. See?" I flick the thing up, it sticks there, but now I can pull it down and start over. "And again, I think that wasn't the best question you could've asked. Too bad."
"You're a jerk, Mike."
"This is true, but now I'm pretending to be one of the Djinn. Be careful what you ask for and all."
She gives me an odd look, then something occurs to her. "Oh you are, are you? Then I get three questions."
"It is so, effendi, but I counsel you to choose your words with care."
"God, you are so weird sometimes." Before I can answer, she cuts me off. "I hear that 'I'm not a god' joke coming a mile away, Logan."
"Well, I guess you're learning." This pencil trick is quite fun. Wish I'd thought of it earlier.
"I don't get it. You create a disgusting scene at the party, you come in here and break a computer and your own hand in a massive fit of stupidity, and what do you get? Deakins is so wrapped up in whatever Goren and Eames brought in that envelope, all you get is a "watch it." Meanwhile, I'm doing all the driving and the writing for at least a month."
"I have a note from my doctor. He says to leave me alone." I'm not kidding. Emil does not always win the bets he makes. "Anyhow, this is very annoying for me. I use this hand a lot, and this is the second time I've busted it up."
"You mean you've done this before?"
"Not quite. I broke it on some guy's forehead last time. He ducked right as I was swinging, and bam! Right on the hardest part of his head, which in his case was saying something. And that's three."
She rolls her eyes, and says, "I give up. So, really, what's going on with you and Eames?"
"Beats me."
"Yeah, that's the rumor." She laughs at her own joke as I shake my head in disgust."What do you mean you don't know?"
"That's exactly it. Look, let's leave my personal life out of this for the moment."
"Why?" She looks hurt.
"Because there's something much more mysterious a' brewing. You want dirt on me, you go ahead and ask Eames, and then you'll have more concrete info than I do. But neither you nor I have a clear idea of what her partner is up to, and that, my dear Watson, may be office gossip gold."
"You think?"
"I do. Quite often, surprisingly." At that, she throws another pencil at me and gets back to work.

I mean, I do work around here, don't get me wrong. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here. But at least for the purposes of this blog thing, as Emil said, it's supposed to be whatever. Most of the day, every day we talk about our cases. I think about my cases, I think about the job, I put in 12+ hour days. But I do have a life, not much of one, I'll admit, outside of it.
So when I'm fooling around on this computer, I talk about the other stuff. Again, sue me.
If I don't know what's up with something I actually care about, I try not to mope, but if I do, cut me a break. And if you knew Alex Eames at all, you wouldn't wonder that I spend at least some of those 12 hours days, and the off-time between them wondering what's going on. 'Tis a pleasant pastime, and sure that's no lie.

18 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

As Alice said: Curiouser and curiouser. I wonder what's a-brewin' at the MCS?

Your blog is turning into one of those old fashioned Saturday serials that my Dad is always reminiscing about ("Now THAT was suspense!"). The cliffhangers keep us all coming back for more.

By the way, if you get too lonely and don't wish to re-injure that "dating hand" of yours, I might be able to fit you in for a matinee on Thursday after court ...

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're so funny Mikey! Sounds like a great game you invented.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oops, sorry forgot something. For some reason I thought of you when I saw this quiz-
http://channels.netscape.com/men/oneminutequiz.jsp?floc=ns-tos-popc-h-04&test=bedquiz

 
At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On an odd note, we used to throw pencils in the ceiling of the bandroom (and please, no American Pie bandcamp jokes anyone, those make me puke). Best part was when they randomly fell down during rehersal and landed either on/near the conductor or in the drum section. One guy counted them all and had a running tally.

Poor Carolyn, having to put up with all of that ;) Nah, she probably likes it in some degree. A good break in the day.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger ann said...

amy he is funny isn't he? You are mikey, you really are. You are sooooooo funny, you crack me up. I think I've told you that before. Mind you the funny mood I'm in, I'd laugh at anything.

You seem to be blogging well enough with one hand and you're the detective I'm surprised you haven't found out what's going on with Bobby yet ..... slacking Mikey.

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Regrettablement, j'ai déjà le sexe avec votre ami.

Sorry, Izzy.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger ann said...

vraiment?

a bientot

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger ann said...

.... wrong detective ... hmm

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I can say that and the follow up in 5 1/2 languages, y'know.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger ann said...

show off; well go on then

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...Throwing a pencil at the ceiling. Hmm. Sounds like someone may not have enough cases to work on? :)

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Mike said...

*Ahem*
Regrettablement, j'ai déjà le sexe avec votre ami, mais le trois de nous a pu avoir le sexe ensemble

and
Leider habe ich bereits Geschlecht mit Ihrem Freund gehabt,Aber alle drei von uns konnten Geschlecht zusammen haben
(By the way, I can also be quite bossy in German -Möchten Sie Geschlecht mit mir haben.)

plus
Purtroppo, già sto avendo sesso con il vostro amico,
Ma tutti tre le di noi hanno potuto avere sesso insieme
(My Italian's a wee bit rusty. Sorry)

then there's -
Desafortunadamente, estoy teniendo ya sexo con tu amigo, Pero los tres de nosotros podían tener sexo juntos.

and its close counterpart:
Infelizmente, eu estou tendo o sexo com seu amigo já, mas todos os três de nós podiam ter o sexo junto.

The half is Dutch, because it's really rusty.
Jammer genoeg, ik heb neuken uw vriend, maar alle drie van ons konden samen neuken.

Ta dah!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Hey, it was an apologetic use of the term, you know, as in, "Gee, I'd really like to, but..."

Grumble. Now I have to go find a translation for "grovel..."

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger ann said...

Ata col cach matzchik!

mitzuyan Mikey. Tov tov. Efsha ata gam m'daber ivrit?

Shlosh bamitah ..... hmmmm .... m'anyen.

l'hitraot

im ahavah ann xxxxxx

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger ann said...

Hey Janice, you're really determined to smack me aren't you? LOL

well just to make it worth your while, and since you love it soooo much, this one's for you

Hey Mikey you are sooooooo funny, you crack me up. Have I told you that before LMHO

lotsa luv ann xxxxxxx

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

Hey, no fair for those of us who aren't bi-lingual!!!

Dame desu-yo! Eigo de hanasemasu-ka!

And just how the hell did you break your hand, Mikey?

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Fist vs. computer. I'd call it a no-win for both.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

Nice. Very clever. *insert golf clap*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home