Wednesday, December 28, 2005

A Quickie

Before I go on with "It Happened This Christmas," I have something I'd like to say.

There is a time when one has to stop and ponder: what does it mean to love? How, in fact, do you know, really know when you are in love?

Well, sometimes you just do. And I love Chou Iin Dik Tong Wah, known in English as An Autumn's Tale.

PLOT DESCRIPTION
Mabel Chueng directs this wildly popular romantic comedy featuring Chow Yun-fat. With two years worth of savings and starry-eyed ambitions of being an actor, Jennifer Lee (Cherie Chung) leaves her comfortable home in Hong Kong for more modest digs in New York City, above the abode of her bumptious cousin, Figurehead (Chow). When her effete longtime boyfriend, Vincent (Danny Chan), dumps her and heads for Boston, Jennifer is left thunderstruck and deeply lonely. Figurehead goes all out to cheer up his pretty relative by buying her Broadway tickets and redecorating her apartment. Soon he finds himself falling for the lass though he is self-conscious about his humble upbringing, compulsive gambling, and coarse ways. Jennifer loves being around Figurehead but cannot imagine being married to him...

~ Jonathan Crow, All Movie Guide

I think Chow Yun Fat does a remarkable job here - in the bootleg I have, he's called "Boathead" but "Figurehead" makes a lot more sense. The NY times makes it sound like a love triangle, but that really doesn't come into play. It's more about Jennifer and Figurehead struggling to work with their own hopes and dreams, while trying to adjust to the way the world goes. It's sad, it's hopeful, at times it's funny, but on the whole, quite a fine film, I must say.

And it's not at all dirty. However, it is most definitely a good prelude to letting your hands wander...

9 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Deb said...

I'm gonna take a stab at it here.

"There is a time when one has to stop and ponder: what does it mean to love? How, in fact, do you know, really know when you are in love?"


The meaning love is this:

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. ~1 Corinthians 13:4-7

How do you know when you're in love? Well, I really believe when you never want to be away from that person; when you start doing more for them, than you do for yourself; when you find yourself with butterflies in your stomach; when you find that you would do absolutely anything in the world for that person---I think it's safe to say---"you're in love"...

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Well Mike...We all know how much you like Quickies. Actually we don't but most of us would be willing to find out! LOL. You must be rubbing off on me. I am in a randy mood this morning! :)

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Deb said...

"Randy"----being "lust"... ;)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You had me worried there for a second. Thought you were going soft-hearted on me. Then at the last possible moment you managed to add "a good prelude to letting your hands wander..."
That's my good perv. ;^)

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

Mikey, Mikey...

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Dear Deb -
I do, in fact, remember having that feeling. And then, well, the song "Harpoon" works here.

However, 'tis better to have loved and lost than to have been stuck with that psycho for the rest of your life...

(Not that they stay gone, dammit! I swear, the only thing missing from this equation is alimony - and I bet I coud've gotten it from her. Grr!)

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Deb Walsh said...

Mikey Mikey you want to Boink Durp Durp. I am sure there are a lot of ladies who will accomadate on this level.
:)

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger ann said...

*LOVE*

It's not knowing you can live with him, it's knowing you can't live WITHOUT him

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Mike, I'm starting to believe you met my ex-girlfriend already. Hmm...Except, I don't get alimony. *sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home