Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Nobody Works Around Here

Or at least it seems that way a lot of the time. Not that that's unusual for most places right about now, what with the holidays, and holiday parties. But I had no idea this was Rag-on-Mike week.
They're even giving me guff about the holidays, too. I get back from my solo lunch at Wang's Discount Sushi, and after posting a fresh round of Mike-abuse on their blogs, they're all talking about holiday wish lists. Oh, no, I think, and try to become invisible. No such luck.

"Hey, Mike, what do you want for Christmas?"

So I tell them the truth. "I like gift certificates."
They start the usual round of noise about how they're so impersonal, how it's not really a gift, blah, blah, blah.

I try reason. "Look, I'm a single guy. I want something, I buy it. Simple! If I don't have it, it's either too expensive, or I don't want it."

They start up again. I try emotional appeals.
"How many cute t-shirts and inflatable beer mugs do you think I need? None! Everybody's a comedian! You could take the cash, and I dunno, give it to the ASPCA or something. Donate it to starving streetwalkers in Bangkok. Just no more industrial-strength beer goggles, or wacky boxers, please."

They call me a grinch. Then the girls start really working on me. "You must want something. Come on, Mike."

"Ok. I want a massage." They punch me. "Not like that. And not one of those shady happy-ending ones, either. I'm talking about a real, get-the-kinks-out-of-your-back, no funny stuff, done-by-someone-with-a-license-and-without-a-rap-sheet massage. But someone's already getting me that."

"Who?"

"Me." Again, they start.

BG tries to make it serious. He leans forward, and says, "Come on, Mike. Everyone wants something from someone else. If you could really have anything, no matter how impossible, what would it be?"

Well, I'm about to crack wise, but they're all looking at me. And you know, they're a good group. I feel really like part of something good with these guys. If there was ever a moment for honesty, this is it.

"Ok." I say, taking a deep breath. "if you really want to know..." The expectant looks are still there. "I want a (barnyard term for an explicit act deleted ) from Dorothy Parker, circa 1920."

They're still looking at me, but they look kinda confused now.

"I mean, I would return the favor, and all, and it would be nice if it would lead to some (unspeakable acts deleted) but really, if the (left mercifully blank) was it, it'd be enough."

Well, they asked.



UPDATE:

Before you ask. She was witty, acerbic, and could drink like a fish, too.
Read this and tell me I'm wrong.

16 Comments:

At 1:00 AM, Blogger penguin_girl76 said...

I got it: how 'bout an American Express gift card loaded with enough money to allow you to shop at the store(s) of your choice and get some pretty decent things and a gift certificate from Bliss or some other reputable place for a full body shiatsu type massage. If they want you to actually open a gift on christmas tell them to put the cards in a box. There, problem solved.

Next time they ask, tell 'em that.

As for Dorothy Parker, well..lmao..don't think I can help you with that one. I'd be a lousy substitute for someone so beautiful and articulate. Although I can hold my liquor and on occasion have been compared to Tom Servo from MST3K(that's as witty as I get). That's the only thing we have in common. But I don't drink that often.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Nomi said...

Sooo not wrong, Mikey. I totally see where you're coming from. Okay, maybe that didn't sound right coming from a female's perspective, but hey, what can I say? I totally get you...

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Axe said...

Pity Mike. I don't drink. I spend my efforts on more effective methods of relaxation. (Also emitting filthy terms...)

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Don't laugh: golf clubs are useful things. Ask Jack Nicholson.

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Axe said...

They're not as much fun as pool cues.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Shadow of a Joke said...

Regardless of your mates saying 'be honest,' if you're in a group, just lie, or make a witty comical remark, it's safer.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Shadow of a Joke said...

They're not as much fun as pool cues.
Axe, you've got a good point there, I have both pool cues and golf clubs, and left handed golf clubs are expencive. Give me a pool cue any day they work in both hands.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Well, if we're going for sports-based weapons, I've really always been partial to the baseball bat.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Shadow of a Joke said...

Yeah I'm quite partial to a baseball bat myself, it's a very versatile weapo... piece of sporting equipment.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

I give great, mindblowing, orgasmic footrubs. How about one of those?

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Laura Elizabeth said...

Ah Mike, you're getting me hot now - Dorothy Parker? Love Her!

"Brevity is the soul of lingerie."

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to."

"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things."

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

"If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised."

Oh for the days of the Algonquin Round Table. You would have been right at home Mike :)

I haven't gotten the price on the dress yet. I'll email you when I do.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Do what I do--tell them to surprise you with the gift.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

Dorothy Parker held her own (and held her liquor) with some of the wittiest MALE minds of her generation. No wonder your brain wandered in her direction.

But (barnyard term deleted) dead chicks is against the law, Copper. How 'bout giving some of us live women a chance?

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Dorothy Parkers don't exist anymore...tell them you'll stick with gift cert or cash is always welcome

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol. Bobby if you didn't get that, I was going to suggest you take some classes on dirty jokes.

I could be an instructor :)

~Sara

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Deb Walsh said...

Get back to work Mikey LOL...
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home