Sunday, December 04, 2005

I'm Back, Mostly in One Piece

That may not sound like a major accomplishment, but it is. Provoking Munch has proved to be a dangerous sport.
He'd said we were going to Providence, which was fine by me. It's a long drive, and I hate traveling north, and he always wants to hang out at Lovecraft's grave for hours, but then I get to eat at Brickway on Wickenden, which makes it all good.
However, once we got going, I noticed something was off.
"Munch," I said, "We're going the wrong way."
"Have faith, Logan. I know what I'm doing."
"No, this is Jersey. I hate Jersey. You don't need to go through this pit to reach Rhode Island."
"Be quiet and let me drive."
I shut up, but I was understandably nervous. I mean, New Jersey!
As we kept driving, it got worse and worse.
"We're not going to the Pine Barrens, are we?"
"No, why? Scared?"
I admitted I was, kind of, and he launched into this big, rambling lecture about the search for the Jersey Devil, and how it was probably a perfectly reasonable phenomena like an alien or a chupacabra-type thing. I pointed out that I didn't give a rat's ass about a Jersey Devil, I was worried about a Deliverance-like scenario. I don't believe in goatsuckers, but I also don't trust Jersey hillbillies.
"Put your ignorant, irrational fears to rest, then," he said, "We're not going there, either."
"So where are we going?"
"It's a surprise."
Coming from Munch, this sort of statement can be very good or very bad. Once I saw our exit, I knew which it was.
"I hate Ocean City."
"That's redundant. You hate all of Jersey. If Ocean City is in Jersey, ipso facto, you hate Ocean City."
"Yeah, but I really hate Ocean City."
"Oh well, that's where we're going. Suck it up. And suck it down, too - it's dry, so you need to kill that beer."
That, I didn't mind so much. It numbed the pain a bit.
We finally got up to the boardwalk in the wee small hours. Munch pulled out his sextant - I have no idea what he does with that thing, and he won't tell me - and started trying to sight something.
"Dammit. I need a focus." He turned to me. "Get down there and stand by the edge of the water."
There's no reasoning with him when he's in that mood, so I started off.
"Wait," he yelled. "Take off your shoes. I might need you to wade in."
"Are you kidding me? It's freezing!"
How he can death-glare through dark glasses is beyond me. I dumped my shoes and socks next to him, and crossed the beach. I turned around when I got to the edge of the water.
The bastard was gone. And when I got back to the boardwalk, I found out he'd taken my shoes, too.
Just then, my phone rang. Of course, it was him.
"So I'll be "hugging the wall," Mike?"
"Really funny, Munch. Get back here."
"Oh, I'm afraid not, my comical friend. I have a meeting in Cape May. I'll be back in a few hours. Let me know if you see any unusual lights out there."
He came back to get me eventually, although he made me chase the car for a few blocks. The rest of the weekend was fine, although the place we finally ended up in was pretty weird, too. But at least it wasn't in New Jersey.
So, how was your weekend?

24 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger Ames said...

Oh my...
That was *some* weekend! At least Neil Patrick Harris didn't steal the car on your way to White Castle.

:-)

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Yeah, that would have been a dick move on his part.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

And you hang out with this man willingly? *L*

My weekend- well Saturday was WONDERFUL... Today, hell...

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger penguin_girl76 said...

My weekend must have been pretty messed up because I just noticed I have your blog open in two windows!

Anyway, I went driving around looking at christmas lights and rented three of the original japanese movies that inspired the infamous "the ring" movies here in the states. I have this book about learning japanese and it suggested renting movies from japan that aren't dubbed that you like and after a few viewings removing the subtitles. It's working out quite well. I can now listen to the movies while doing something else and still know what's going on in them.

btw, I never liked the phrase "ipso facto." I prefer "by association." But then again Hannibal Lecter used "by association" in Red Dragon so maybe it is better to use ipso facto.

Sounds like you and Munch had another great time together. Tell him I'm still waiting on his blog. I hope he didn't freeze his bony ass off.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

LMAO. :)

 
At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike - if you tell them, I will do much worse. You'll wish it was the Pine Barrens.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad u made it back safely. He went to Cape May? I had a friend who took Coast Guard basic training there earlier this year! My weekend was nowhere near as eventful as yours.

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger eliza said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Axe said...

I had an uneventful weekend. Again. Man, I've got to get laid!!

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger eliza said...

Yours sounds better than mine!! Christmas shopping is hell on earth.

eliza xxx

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Oh, Axe -
How do you NOT have a line of volunteers to take care of that problem? Are the men around there just stupid?

Your standards must be too high - that, or your victim rate :)

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Shadow of a Joke said...

yes, if jersey is so great, how come the statue of liberty faces the other way :P

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should know better than to bait Munch.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

I knew Munch was posting as anonymous.
Mike, never provoke someone who hangs out at Lovecraft's grave. Don't forget I want that list.

Munch, If you've been reading, you've been tagged too. I want a list.

LOL

Next time, take me with you guys.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Axe said...

Mike - ..or both..
Ha! No, seriously, the "men" here are not even good enough to lower my standards for a "desperation fuck"

Oh, sorry, hope I didn't offend some cherries here again!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Axe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger ann said...

let's just say yours was better than mine and leave it at that.

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

What weekend? I've already repressed it, it was that good.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

Axe ... so funny! Maybe we can start a fund to get you a plane ticket to NYC. One week, and as much man meat as you can get your horny little hands on.

I'll volunteer my services as tour guide ...

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger ann said...

Axe, I'm joining you in NYC; I'll pay for my own flight, but if the men are more game there than here, then so am I.

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Mike, my man, There's nothing wrong with weird New Jersey.

Jump on in, the water's fine

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Axe said...

Bogusboobs, God bless you!
I'd be the biggest, uncontrollable natural disaster your country had ever seen!!

(Not having sex for two years will do that to ANYONE)

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

Okay ... just found your blog, Axe. How did I miss that, you kinky chick!?!

I'm thinking there must be something in the water down there in South Africa. Do they bottle it, perchance?

Love & mental health to you, honey ... I'll be quietly checking in from time to time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home