Monday, May 15, 2006

Back To Work

I managed to dodge the Munch, and he was gone when I was ready to leave. I'm not sure he even knew I was there. I need to call and ask why he was at my place, because Caorlyn left me another message about him. Since she's being kind enough to help me with my desk, it's the least I can do.
This year's Mother's Day pity-party did not go as planned. This isn't a bad thing, because maybe it's best to move on from some things.
Some things, though, you don't forget, like being the kid who acted up at school. I was telling someone about that. Why do you do it? Attention, probably, a little boredom, or maybe the only thing you can control at that age is getting yourself in trouble.
And you ever notice some of the bad little boys only liked the little girls whose hair fell out of their braids, who sassed the teachers back - we snuck looks at them from where we were standing in the corner, we ate paste to make them say "Ewwww" or better yet "So?" and we wrote them notes that we turned into paper balls to bounce off of their heads to say "Look at me! I like you!" to get a kick in the shins so we knew they liked us, too.
Being a kid can be lonely - and growing up doesn't help much. What can you do, but flick rubberbands, and hope?

Come over here, lady
Let me wipe your tears away
Come a little nearer, baby
'cause you'll heal over
Heal over, Heal over someday

And I don't wanna hear you tell yourself
That these feelings are in the past
You know it doesn't mean they're off the shelf
Because pain's built to last
Everybody sails alone
But we can travel side by side
Even if you fail
You know that no one really minds
Come over here, lady

Don't hold on, but don't let go
I know it's so hard
You've got to try to trust yourself
I know it's so hard, so hard

Come over here, lady
Let me wipe your tears away
Come a little nearer, baby
'cause you'll heal over,
heal over, heal over someday

5 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Carolyn Barek said...

YOU acted up in school and like attention? Wow. I. am. so. surprised.
Seems like you had a pretty good day, glad to hear it. Does that mean you'll quit being super weird and go back to being your normal weird?

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

You're so right, Mike. Some things you do never forget. But, are you saying that the more a kid harassed you in school, the more he liked you?

So what does that say about the kid who flicked an elastic band in my eye? Or the one who pushed me onto the road in front of an oncoming car...?

:/ Nope. Some things you just don't forget.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ate chalk, drank soda, and pretended to be rabid to gross out the girls at school. Still do... Sometimes.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger shallow end said...

it's sad that my childhood boyfriend hasn't grown past that stage...that's still his way of getting my attention...

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Axe said...

Mike, why do you think I always want to maim you? Maul you? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home