Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Monday As It Were

So, Carolyn did my laundry. I have truly perfected the art of "Just kidding - unless you're gonna do it." I have the best partner in the whole world. And hah-ha-ha, I do not need my undies handled with tongs...
Seriously, she so rocks. And now, Elliot wants to go on an adventure. I worry a bit - but I'm also intrigued. However, El, we are not going into New York Below.
I also haven't seen the man in black since I crawled under my rock. However, since he essentially tossed me down a hill last time I saw him, I think I can be forgiven.
Ok, so movie stuff I promised. Tomorrow, I continue it.
So, I went to see V for Vendetta by myself, and it was glorious. I'd read the book, and it was complicated, interesting, and just way cool, like everything Alan Moore writes. Elliot can tell you this, I'm sure.
However, it was a) a book, which makes it easier to have mutiple plot threads, and b) written about Margaret Thatcher's Britain. These would not work for an American movie audience 20 years later, so changes were necessary.
I liked it - I liked it a lot. Some people are going to whine about distorting the book, and losing some of the plot...hey, it happens in adaptation. Good books do not good movies make without some tweaking.
The Thatcher thing? Most of us wouldn't get it - hell, this film's target audience wasn't even potty-trained during the Thatcher years, I don't think. It's talking a little about issues now, and that's fine. Deal. It's a plot point.
The only thing I stuck on was V saying he loved Evey. That was...odd. But if you look at it this way, it makes sense: He doesn't mean Evey as herself. He means her as freedom, as a life past revenge, of a life without masks and knives. V is for vengeance, Evey is for vitality - a new life built out of the rubble of the old.
Or maybe I just like the explosions and the Kung-fu.

13 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

El, we are not going into New York Below.

New York Below is a DOOR I pass thru alone.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Carolyn Barek said...

Your undies = eeewwww


Elliot has wonderful adventures, nothing to be worried about.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Mike said...

George - hair of the dog, man, that's all I can tellya.

El? I figured since the PORTICO had been closed by force, it was harder than you think. However, I hear there may be one more way to open these passages.

Jeesh, Caro, you'd think you'd never seen some of that stuff before.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear there may be one more way to open these passages.

Are you offering your help?

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Carolyn Barek said...

you'd think you'd never seen some of that stuff before

Well certainly not in the condition yours was in!

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger Nomi said...

I came here intending to post a comment, and was so bemused by the exchange here that I totally lost my train of thought.

You guys are hilarious, but I can't help feeling a sudden, bizarre urge to start singing 'Send in the Clowns'....

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Yes, Nomi, I'm sorry this is a bit of a rabbit hole at the moment.
I think El's realized I may be looking for an INGRESS, and I think there would be clues in New York Below.
Hmm, come to think of it, would there be a Melbourne Above, instead?

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

Hmm, come to think of it, would there be a Melbourne Above, instead?

I'm confused. Are we talking about bars here? or something else entirely?

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Somthing else entirely - or more like nothng. Neverwhere to be precise.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Nomi said...

Neverwhere?
That's a very surreal term. I like it. Kinda creepy, and spooky.
Excuse me. I have to go and fend off my muse.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Nomi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neverwhere-
If you find the INGRESS (I really like that word), you may actually get there...not knowing if it is really where you want to be. The only real truth is that anywhere you have previously been will never be the same.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

Damn. Now I really am intrigued. I gotta get to New York.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home