Friday, April 14, 2006

Hello Again

I am such a liar. Alex and Carolyn have nagged me for days about when I'm updating, and I keep saying, "Later" or "I'm doing it RIGHT NOW" - even Millie and teh Harp have bugged me. I swear.
Look, I will, I will talk about the movies. Really. But I got this book, you see, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. It's almost a textbook version of the hero's journey, but there's something really good about it. Gaiman tends to come up with such good simple ideas that it makes you wonder why someone else has never written it, or in some cases, why you hadn't done it yourself because it was something you'd always thought of. The thing you think when you read his work is: Yes, of course. That's exactly it, that's how things are.
Now, in this case, in Neverwhere it's the idea of "London Below" - the magical underside of London. You know some places seem to have another life that you can only just see out of the corner of your eyes. London, Paris - the old places, sure. In America, they're scattered, but they're there, and it's the same in other parts of the world as well.
So - have you see that? Where?

10 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger MartyF said...

Mikey,

I've got a link to Neil Gaiman's blog if you'd like to check it out.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Carolyn Barek said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Hey MartyF -
Looked it up when I saw you mention it. Sweet, thanks!
In fact, he'll be in Baltimore Mem. day - that's almost local. Think I may go see.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger kacey said...

New Orleans has that feel to it. Manhattan does too, actually.

Mike, have you seen Gaiman's illustrated book
"The Sandman"?

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Deb Walsh said...

Mike Hey Sweetcakes I am Back as well. Hope you had a Happy Easter. I did so Catch you on the Sllllllllllllidddddddddde
BYE
:)

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Axe said...

I've always wanted to go to New Orleans. Also, Budapest has it too!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Carolyn Barek said...

Hey Mike,
I need your help with something.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger penguin_girl76 said...

I think I live in a place like that. One of those blink and you'll miss it places.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger MartyF said...

Wow,

That'd be cool, just a trip down the Metro Liner, right?

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger NemesisNicole said...

Mike, you lazy bum! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home