Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Showing One's Age

So, Alex started reminiscing about her favorite old TV shows, and of course, she asked pretty much everyone what theirs were. Man, great way to make someone feel ancient, when you have to preface it with "Well, nobody had a color set then." Sheesh.

When I was a kid, I didn't watch a lot of tv. What with circumstances at home, and the fact that I played outside a LOT because of that meant that I wasn't really exposed to the set. Not comparitively, anyway. A LOT of guys my age really glued to the tube. I guess I watched my fair share, though.
For some reason, I was addicted to Car 54, Where Are You? a comedy about cops in the Bronx Go figure, huh?
That might have been the reason I ended up liking The Munsters so much, since Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis were starring in that one, too. Plus, as we all know, vampires are pretty cool to a kid. I could never figure out what kind of monsters The Addams Family were supposed to be, so I really never got into that one.

As I got older, I watched The Monkees, much to my shame, but only if my parents wouldn't catch me, since they were a little too hippie for them. There were a bunch of good things on, like Batman, and Get Smart, and The Wild Wild West - I'm not much for cowboys, but James West and Artemis Clyde were just that cool. The really formative show, I have to say, was Hogan's Heroes. I wanted to be just like Hogan when I grew up, except, you know, not in a POW camp.

And you know, the less said about my fond memories of my college time spent on the couch with some, uh, refreshments, and Sesame Street and The Muppet Show, the better. I swear, the guys in the house used to tease the hell out of me for saying "Duuuude. Oscar. Whoa. What's up with him? He needs to chill." Also, there was the Snuffleupagus hunt. That ended pretty badly....


Man, now I want to watch TV! I really don't have time anymore, although I like to catch Monk and tease Alex about Goren's weird cousin in San Francisco. Unfortunately, that makes her rib me about my second cousin in Reno who's on that dumb reality show, which I catch from time to time and cringe every time I see it. I also watch Cold Case, because...well, um, I like the stories? That's it. Yes. There's also a weird buncha shows based on cops in New York that I see from time to time, but it's not like my life revolves around that one. It's been on forever, or something, and it's on, what, 24 hours a day? Alex watches it more often than not, but I can take it or leave it. Maybe I'll try to see it tonight or something, though.

16 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger ann said...

Mikey, Mikey.... memories.... nostalgia. Gee I am old. I remember Car 54, Where are You? .... it was in black and white wasn't it? OMG that takes me back so long. And Get Smart and The Wild Wild West... oh boy. Are you too young for Phil Silvers and I Love Lucy? And I adored the westerns. Bonanza, Rawhide, Wyatt Earp. I was in love with all the heroes. I also had to sneakily watch the Monkees. Not highbrow enough for my father.

my kids were brought up on The Muppets and Sesame Street, which means I must've been married with children while you were bombed outta your head. (I was a child bride!)

Adrian and Bobby cousins..... hmmm. Well my mother loves Monk and she's 82!!!!

What cop shows are you talking about in New York? Are they any good? Anyone well known in them?

wow that's really a long trip down memory lane. thanks Mikey.

lotsa luv ann xxxxxx

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

Guess I'm not quite so old - I never saw Car 54, but I grew up with shows like Get Smart and The Munsters.

And I totally get you watching The Muppet Show. Even Sesame Street... Everyone needs a little insanity in their lives. Of course, with Munch on hand, you have a little bit more than is the norm.

From my pov, I was addicted to cartoon shows like Battle of the Planets, Astroboy, Voltron, Starblazers and He-Man. Not She-Ra, though. She-Ra was too girly for me, even if she did have a cool sword of her own.

Of course, what makes me feel old is the realisation that all of today's hottest young stars are younger than me. Scary.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I LOVE Monk! Lol, I always thought of him and Bobby being related somewhere down the line, lol.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have Al Lewis' autograph! My brother met him. Yeah, I know you are jealous.
Man I would have sworn you made fun of someone else for liking the Monkees. But that may have just been my imagination. ;^)
All in all you like some pretty good shows.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Ames said...

Oh, yay, Monk! I love him, he's great! And Get Smart and the old Batman shows were the best!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger kacey said...

I love my TV. Unfortunately, I'm out of town and will most likely miss the New York crime drama shows that provide me my fix. I was into Soap,Trapper John MD,Mash re-runs, and for anyone old enough to remember this bit of fun, Sha-Na-Na.

God, I'm such a geek....

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Shadow of a Joke said...

All great choices, I used to watch them all.

there was the Snuffleupagus hunt. That ended pretty badly.... Snuffy was bigbirds imaginary friend, isn't that a form of cheating if he's the only one that can see him?

I used to love the adam west batman, kids today just don't understand it.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I really don't like Monk. All my friends like that show alot but then there are shows that I like that they don't so it is even! :)

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Axe said...

We only got TV's here about a million years after you guys, so my earliest memory was Bonanza, and High Chaparel (sp???)

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Jules said...

The Muppet Show rocked!! I loved Animal, he was my favorite...big suprise. Others...Star Trek reruns (even today), some shows called Law and Order, and the occasional Monk fill up my viewing schedule. Not to mention Cold Case, City Confidential and all those cool shows with Bill Kurtis on A&E.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger MartyF said...

Re the "weird bunch of cop shows" on....

What do you think of the fact that they cast Mr Big from Sex in the City as you? :)

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Who, you mean that skeevey fella Noth, my evil twin?

Eh, could be worse. I just wish he'd stop riding the subway drunk.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Deb Walsh said...

You are cuter than than that Noth guy anyway. Whats up there Darlin' I am back no sooner does everything start to get better around here and my DSL Modem breaks down but SBC has sent me a new one.
:)

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love MONK!! And I'm starting to like you too^^

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Axe said...

That Noth guy may be almost as cute as Mike, but Mike has quite a few more inches on him, I'm sure!!

Not that I'd know...*Steps back slowly into the shadows*

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger MartyF said...

LOL! I'll try to keep the Noth remark from my landlady - she LOVES him! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home