Friday, February 03, 2006

In Which We Learn Our Friends Are Not Always Our Friends

"Are you sure about this?" I asked him again.

"Of course I am, you total wuss. Now go." Munch sure can be pushy sometimes.

I looked down the steep hill of the bike path, and thought about it for a moment. "Munch, I'm not sure that this is the best of ideas." This was really kind of obvious, despite the 5 or 6 snakebites I'd downed.

See, Munch had these shoes with these bouncing things on the bottom, and...you know, explaining just doesn't work that well with 'em. Let's just say they looked like a device made by Acme Co., marketed to coyotes for the purpose of road-runner catching. They were crazy fun, too, and that's not just the snakebites talking.

"Logan, leave the ideas to me," he said. Jeez, it's creepy when he wears his sunglasses in the dark. He could be thinking anything. "Are you chicken? Will your girlfriend be mad at you?"

Those shoes were a lot of fun. I bounced up and down a few times, just to get a good feel for them. "This is pretty cool," I admitted. "But howcome you won't go first?"

He turned the glasses towards me again, and said "Because you're younger than me, and less brittle. I'm much more likely to break a hip."

He had a point there. I bounced some more, and then realized something. "Well, what about Finn? He's younger than both of us."

"True," he said, "But Finn's waiting at the bottom to prevent any passerby from going through at the wrong moment. Besides, he's not drunk. Drunk people are more likely to be safe from accidental injury."

This was also an excellent point - and those shoes were super-fun. "Ok," I said, "Here goes."

And there I went. It was great - for about five seconds. And then the law of gravity kicked right in. At the top of the springing arc, I realized that my balance was just a wee bit off, and that's when everything slowed down. My last thought before impact was That gravel's really going to hurt, isn't it? And it did. I continued bouncing, but not on the shoes. Rather, on my shoulder, my back, my knees, then my head, repeat that a few times, until I slid to the bottom of the hill and looked up at the uncaring sky.

Finn was laughing his ass off when some teenagers passed by. "Dude, that looks like it hurt. Wanna smoke?" I actually thought about it, but I could only manage a groan, and Finn flicked his badge and chased them away.

I still hadn't recovered enough to speak when I heard a familiar evil chuckle behind me. "Next time, Logan, don't give your evil ex my phone number, or it'll go even worse with you." He turned to Finn, "Go ahead and call Eames. See if she's got a wheelbarrow to collect her parcel here. On second thought, better call her partner instead. Don't want to tick her off. She's actually dangerous."

So, that's where I've been. Hope you guys are well.

13 Comments:

At 7:39 AM, Blogger ann said...

Oh Mikey Mikey will you never learn.... you poor sweetheart. Here's a loving soothing massage through cyberspace for you to ease those poor old bones.

lotsa luv ann xxx

p.s. hope you've thrown those darn shoes out

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hahahahahaha! One day surely you'll learn.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger kacey said...

How damaged are you?

Why DID you give KD Munch's number?

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

They do say payback is a bitch. Giving your crazy ex his phone number did invite some type of payback but I hope you are alright. Betcha never mess with Munch again! :)

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

Silly boys and their silly toys. Riddle me this, Peter Pan: do you ever plan on joining the ranks of the adult male?

Classy women will kiss the boo-boos of their maturity-challenged lovers for just so long before they decide it's time to get a real man on board. And that's true even IF you've become rather proficient at the "down low."

Okay ... It's Monday, and there's my Estrogen-fueled rant for the week. Forgive me my baggage.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger eliza said...

Mikey, one day you are going to figure out that Munch is bad for you,yes??

I saw those kangaroo shoes on T.V the other day,looked like fun,but you've just put me off!!

Be better

Eliza xxxxx

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

Well, that was just bloody cruel, wasn't it?
Mucho hugs, and thump Munch a good one when you're feeling up to it.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Sara said...

LMAO! *coughs* I mean....

Sadly, I have been there, and have done that. Yara and I thought it would be a fantabulous idea to take the springs from an old mattress and attach them to our sneakers. then we had a greater idea to go down the side of a mountain on them.

I got a concussion, Yara broke her wrist. It was worth it:)

Love the Muchman....

Feel better soon Mikey!

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

Damn Mikey.... *Here's to hoping you'll learn*

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Axe said...

Mikey, we've missed you terribly!! I'll go get Jules and we'll get right on ya!!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Prorokini Golebica said...

That sounds awful. Maybe these shoes were indeed proudly made by Acme Co, cos all devices this company made for Mr. Coyote turned against him in the end. BTW, I'm not sure if drunks are less likely to injure themselves while walking home, but most surely they do not feel the pain that much. I once fell on the gravel (while drunk), and onto a bicycle wreck. It didn't hurt until the morning after...
Love, Pro.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Broken bones are not turn-ons. Stop that foolishness!!! I will not be pleasant if you end up in a body cast!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home