Sunday, January 15, 2006

Escapism

I forgot to hit "post," so you're getting this at least one day late. Sorry about that, but I'm off for a bit again.

Some people think you can't outrun your problems. Maybe not, but you can certainly try to postpone them indefintely. Take this weekend for example. After Alex finishes with the nasty business with the eurotrash, we will be out of here for a short break. You have to love Federal holidays. I don't want to think about work, about complications, about anything, and I think Alex agrees, so we'll see you a bit later.

Where are we going? Well, that's best kept under wraps until we're back. Maybe she'll tell you. It's not quite the end of the world, but it may as well be.

I had some last minute business to take care of, and one of those was checking in on Kate. She was less than receptive to that, which was no surprise. People say guys bottle things up - most guys I know have nothing on her. I asked if we could talk, and she said, "Sure, we should. But not now, ok? Not today. Later. Really."
I came back with "It's been 24 years, so I guess no hurry, right?"
"If you want to be a jerk about it, as you so clearly do, it's actually 23 years and 364 days, thanks. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go get ready to sleep with your shrink." With that last crack, the line went dead.
You know, the one thing she hates (and always hated) is when people question her choices. The good, the bad and the utterly bizarre, she makes them and that's done. The more important it is, the harder it is to pry her doubts out of her.
I think people should make their own choices. No doubt about it. I didn't and I don't want to turn what's between us into an ethics debate, where she screams at me that I support everyone's right to choose but hers. We'll talk about it someday, she says, and that's good enough, or at least it has to do.

I'm hoping clearing out will stop with the dreams, and maybe it will. As long as I keep it on the quiet, no big deal. They happen sometimes, they clear up, they come back. I can ride it out; I've always done it before. Alex just doesn't even need to know. There's another escape and another choice for you.

I'll check email, comments the like, maybe, but I'll skip boring you with the dark-of-night horrors, unless you insist.
Meanwhile, while we're gone, amuse yourselves. Here're some links to help with that:

Kulak's Woodshed has streaming video of acoustic perfomances. You can choose by performer, or you can just let it run.

Kate Higgins is someone I found on the site, singing the rather terrific "Ghost" and because she's cool like that, you can hear a good selection of her songs on her own page.

I mentioned Snow Patrol on Chloe's site, and they're still unbeleivably good. "Run" is one of those songs that just hits you where you live, I think. If you're in the UK, you might need to go to their other site.

And thanks to Bobby, I've gotten hooked on Joshua Radin, who, thanks to "Closer" might be my new favorite artist, at least when I'm in this mood.

Take some time, have a break, and get away, even if you're just at home.
See you when we get back.

9 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

I'm glad to see you're taking a break... After all that's happened it's a much needed, and welcomed change. Kate has more than taken her toll on you. It's time you just clear your mind and think about Mike...

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger ann said...

Mikey, Mikey, I'll miss you unless you and Alex are planning to be in Jerusalem and Eilat in the next week or so .... then the margaritas and beers are on me.

lotsa luv ann xxxxxx

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mike, I'm glad to hear you're taking a little time for you. You need it, Kate is a piece of work. I could say more about her, but, I'm trying to be nice today.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

I hope you have a good rest, Mike. You and Alex both. Have a good talk with her, and if you really like her as much as your posts suggest, then be totally open and honest. You'll only hurt yourself in the long run if you're not.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I think it is wonderful that you are getting away and taking a break. It will give you time to relax and talk. Have a wonderful time. :)

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Axe said...

I'm done guessing. It's your turn now.

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Jules said...

Have a fun weekend, you deserve it, and you deserve to spend it with Alex. :-)

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Axe said...

Booty!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger kacey said...

Hope the break was good. Is the housepest gone?

Everyone, stop by and vote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home