Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Case

Ron Carver asked us to do a favor for a friend of his from law school. It turns out that the lady's brother is an adjunct professor at a large university...and she wanted us to talk to his wife, who's a tenured member of the faculty.

We played phone tag for a week, and finally we just stopped by. The wife - we'll call her Professor G - opens the door. Mid-forties, tall, hair swept up in a bun...she looks like a 1950's Hollywood version of a lady professor, except for the black eye.

She wouldn't even let us in the house, and as she came out on the stoop, her arms crossed, Carolyn remembered she'd left something in the car...and left me there with Prof.G.
She didn't even bother to deny that her husband had done it. She claimed it was a normal disagreement that got out of hand. She said that she'd started the argument, that she'd fought back, that she was fine,could handle herself, and that I should get the hell off her porch.

That didn't leave me much of a choice. I got back in the car, and asked Carolyn if she was all right. She shook her head yes, but we sat there for a few minutes, staring at the door before we left.

11 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger Axe said...

Denial about control is usually the worst denial there is!!

I hate when women just accept shit like that!
What did you do, Mike? Just leave?

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Axe: I could not agree me with what you said. When I hear a woman making excuses for crappy behavior like this, I want to scream. Why any woman would ever feel that she deserved this kind of treatment or that there is an excuse for it is beyond my compehension. :)

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Me and Axe need to be on retainer for the NYPD for cases such as these...the man hits his wife....the man gets his ass beat out on the street like the garbage he is.

Whip up a business plan, Axe, I'll have the cards made! :-)

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Ames said...

Yes Jules! The punishment should fit the crime, and that sounds very fitting.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

It blows when you're faced with something like that, but what can you do when the individual in question doesn't want help? There wasn't anything you could have done, either of you.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger ann said...

It's so easy to tell someone else what to do, but try being there and doing it yourself... a hard call.

lotsa luv ann xxxx

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Carolyn Barek said...

Jules, you and Axe should certainly be on retainer for slime like this one. I'd almost be willing to cut you a check myself. Unofficially of course.
Officially, we just have to deal the best way we can.

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I've tried to comment three times on this, and erased every one of them. I'll just keep it simple. With my background, should my husband pull that crap on me, he's dead. Simple. And I know how to use a gun.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with Jules! You & Axe should beat 'em down!!!

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Jules said...

And if any other woman needs any training on weaponry or possible seditious action after a man hits her, email me. I'll be happy to help!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Axe said...

Okay, Jules, I'm in.
We'll only use the most descreet (mob) tactics, right? I mean, it's not like we condone violence at all...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home