Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Other Shoe Drops

I knew it. Oh, they said I was crazy, but I knew something was up. As long as I've known KD, she's been a multi-tasking daemon - I use that term purposefully -and she operates on the Bond villain level. She'd just explode if she didn't let it slip about how clever she was.

What, you may ask, is she about this time? Isn't destroying my home, my sense of peace and, at least temporarily, my sanity, enough? Oh, no. No, no, no. Not if she can write it off as a business expense.

So what exactly does she do? Well, what any lunatic egomaniac with multiple degrees and a taste for manipulation does. She's a consultant. Or that's what she's calling it. Really, she's a 21st century equivalent of a panderer.

Anyway, I got suspicious when she called up and began purring into my ear. After dancing around the fact that I was indeed going to have to have the plumber in, and that she was having her dealer - her crazy art dealer, that is - come by, she asked whether I wanted to have lunch or dinner this week.

I informed her that I was having lunch and dinner every day this week, and happily, without her. Back and forth, back and forth, until she spills. She wants to meet whoever is the tech expert at work. Seems she's got this new reseaching system, with an interface designed to work on multiple levels and stimulate lateral thinking, whatever that means.

"Look, you ape, all you need to know is it's so cool even you'll want one, and you have no concept of how to work it. It requires lobes you don't have."

Naturally, I objected to this. Twenty minutes later when I got in another word edgewise, I said there was no way she was getting within 200 yards of One Police Plaza unless it was in cuffs.

Again, she showed her charm-school dropout ways. "Oh, quit flirting. Anyway, don't you have a girlfriend or something to play your sick games with? What, tired of this one already? Maybe you should switch to women who can read more advanced stuff than Green Eggs and Ham, you bottom-feeder."

"Out of line, KD, out of line. Plus, you know from sick games and bottom-feeding. Or have you stopped dating people who don't speak the language?" I needed to get off the phone and break into the aspirin. "Look, I do not need this at the job. Staten Island sucks harder than - no, I'm not getting into your good points now. It is not bring-your-lamprey-to-work day. Not happening."

I'll give her this, she knows when to back down. Sometimes she leaks a little mercy from that shrivelled thing she calls a heart. "I didn't even want to come by your office. That creates an ethically sticky situation. I was just hoping you'd bring the tech guy by, maybe for a nice quiet dinner party. I need something like that for the project anyway, showing the whole awkward situation as an essential component of the holiday season. And if, while you're there, he just happens to see the set-up, well, that's purely coincidence, albiet one that I can mention to Mayor Bloomberg when I try to sell him this thing."

Sometimes, you can't deflect, you can only delay. I told her I'd think about it, and grabbed the Excedrin. Stock in Bristol-Myers. That's what I should've asked for for Christmas.

16 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Always something with the psycho, huh?

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Stock in P&G is better. I guess I must be missing something. Maybe I need to go back and reread some older posts but why again are you putting up with this crap? Take good care! :)

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Awww, I 'm sorry Mikey. You always have a lot of crap to deal with. Try to stay sane and in one piece, ok?

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger ann said...

She does your head in doesn't she Mikey?

Are you prepared to take an incy wincy piece of advice? When you're on the phone and you don't like the way the conversation's going ..... hang up.

lotsa luv ann xxxxxx

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Mike said...

That only summons the demon-queen and invokes her ire. Bad idea. She gets a mad on, she keeps a mad on.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

Are you still married to her? What the heck do you care if she's got a mad on. Get one of those judge's orders for her to keep her distance from you. I mean good grief, you aren't married, there are no kids, you don't have to interact with her. You don know that, right?

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger ann said...

Mikey, Mikey I can never stay mad at Bobby ..... I wouldn't dare .....he scares the pants off me

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I was never actually married to her....but there are the bonds of friendship, no matter how warped they are.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

Bonds of friendship? Does she give anything or just take?

By the way, those bonds wouldn't have anything to do with games with initials other than D&D, would they? Like S&M, maybe?.......

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Mike said...

The fun-and-games - Well, at one point, they did indeed. When you meet someone almost the same level of nasty as you, it can be a beautiful thing....

As for the give-and-take, maybe I'll explain the whole thing later. It's a long, long story.
I duuno.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Deb Walsh said...

You Got MAIL
:)

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger kacey said...

oh Mike, how much longer do you have to deal with this harpie?

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger kacey said...

btw, you're right about the "same level of nasty" thing.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger ann said...

Oh Mikey, I just answered your question on eliza's blog .... and thanks for reminding me of bonding .... I forgot I bought that bondage belt thingy for Christmas for Bobby, but he wasn't there .... hmmm wonder if he'll be around for New Year

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Ahh Mikey. While she may appear to be demonic to you, I think she does these things to you because you let her. Let her get her hate on, she'll be the one wasting all her time and energy. Send her my way, I'll light her ass up. :-) I got ways of breaking people that would make BG wince and turn away.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger kacey said...

Jules, you sound like fun :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home