Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Collateral Damage

I stopped in to see the sister - we'll call her Sue - at her office.
I had to explain to her what she already knew - that we couldn't do *anything* unless someone saw something. Otherwise, nada. We are helpless here.
Like I said, she knew. What makes it worse, is she used to do pro bono work for a women's shelter. She knows that it's like. All I could do was listen while she talked.

"You think it's not supposed to happen to people like...like us. He's got a degree in physics, for god's sake! SHE's an educated woman, with a good job, options... and this is still going on. Why in the hell..." She rubbed her eyes and kept going. "He's my brother, and god knows I don't like her at all. But knowing he's capable of that - I can't stand to hear his voice when he calls me crying after. And I blame her, too. Isn't that sick?"

What could I say?
I don't think I left her any better than I found her, except that she'd finally be able to at least say it out loud. Remind me to tell you why that's like a fairy tale, too. You can only break your own spell by speaking...whether it helps someone else? That remains to be seen.

6 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Deb Walsh said...

Mike this seems like it is a hard one and not all women have the courage to walk away. I was lucky and had a great support system with my family and friends.
:)

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

All you can do is be there - and that is enough.
Blessings,
Kate+

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Axe said...

You're so right, Mike.
Even when you are the attacker, it doesn't make it easier to deal with.
I spent yesterday in the kind company of cops too, but I was not the victim. I never am.
Talking about it, doesn't help anyone. Vic or perp.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger ann said...

they're all victims in their own way...

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I have been lucky and never experienced anything like this. My heart goes out to those who have. :)

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Axe said...

Kara, I guess to each his own, huh?
I've talked all my life and I still do it worse than ever, no matter how I try!!!
Glad it helped you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home