Sunday, January 08, 2006

Part Deux

I have a horrible secret to tell you all - I may lose my "guy" status and be reduced to 'traitorous wuss" for admitting this, but....we don't get it. You have to spell it out for us. Hinting, clues, all that, not gonna work.

I do not think Alex likes Kate all that much. It's just a feeling I get.

Kate says Alex seems quite nice, and got really sniffly about the fact that she doesn't think Alex liked her. This was in the middle of dissolving into a pile of tears because thanks to various snafus her business thing got delayed, and she'll be here much longer than she wants to, and she's pushing 50 and still doesn't own her own personal island....ok, that was a little crazy, but by that time she was really letting the waterworks flow.

Argh. I give up. I'm not even trying to understand what went on over my head there. They talked, I'm not sure what they said, (there was some exchange about my hair that had an accusatory tone) and the end result is I'm fairly sure they're both annoyed at me for something. Until someone explains it to me, I'm playing dead-in-the-head.

Like I said, sometimes Kate is quite fun. I did not mind throwing the painting out of the window. It was mildly therapeutic. She reads a lot of the things I do, or stuff I'd like, and vice versa, and so if we keep to that, it's fun to argue on a light level. In fact, art and literature and film sometimes feel like the only things worth arguing about. 100 years from now, who cares what the political scandals are? They just repeat themselves. Social problems? There'll be all new ones. We and everyone we know will be dead. But people will still be going over The Illiad and Birth of a Nation.

She also rubbed my temples and neck muscles when I began getting one of those godawful headaches I get. Let me tell you, during one of those, I would let a rabid grizzly massage me if it knew what it was doing. Of course, it was dealing with her little students' questions that gave me the headache...

She still thinks I could be a travel writer if I felt like it, even though she knows I hate traveling and writing. On that note, she did help me walk a mile to a pharmacist once, during an incident that led to my resolve to NEVER go on a group trip again.

Buy anyway, besides the awkwardness of getting grilled by crazed art students, viewing the postmodern destruction of my new decor, being plopped down between the current and the ex in what looked for a moment to be the next cold world war, seeing what she did to the bathtub, and the shouting matches and the crying jag, it was perfectly fine.

Oh, and the surreal bits. Here's two -

Kate: "So now, he's just shoving it in there, and I'm encouraging him "You can do it! Just crush it, it's ok!" The woman behind me goes "It'll fit! Come on!" and finally he stuffs the last bit in. I couldn't believe he got it all in there. I can show you; it's back in the bedroom because I just had to let people see this."
She was talking about groceries. I'd never seen $65 worth of groceries shoved into one bag - it really was impressive, considering it wasn't horribly expensive stuff, either. This was including cereal, bread, and frozen pizza, which are cheap and take up a lot of room. Thinking back on it, it did sound kind of risque, though, didn't it?

And Fido.
We're sitting around and it comes waddling up. It gives me a beady-eyed glare like I'm the intruder. I rub my eyes, and it's still there.
I ask, quite reasonably, I think, "Kate, why in the f*^@king hell is there a skunk in my apartment?"
"Ooh, he's my new little guy!" She picks up the thing and starts feeding it grapes. "I was thinking of calling him Mike, but I already know one big skunk by that name." The thing squeaks, but continues eating and giving me the evil eye. "Only kidding, and I have a permit, so don't start. I was thinking of naming him Fydor Mikleovitch."
"Oh," I say, "Fido." The skunk perks up.
"No," she says, "Fydor."
Just to tick her off more, I say "Here, Fido" and the beast waddles over to me.
"Dammit! First you corrupt Tuesday Minor..."
"You mean Fishbreath BeerBuddy." I inform the onlookers, "That was her cat."
She says I can't rename other people's pets, and I say I wouldn't have to if certain people wouldn't give them deranged names in the first place. We go back and forth and never get back to the point that there is a goddam skunk in my apartment.

Phew. Oh, and I have to ask Alex if I can stay, or go back to plan A, the breakroom. Or I guess it might be safe to sleep on my own couch. I mean, I know what I prefer, but...

19 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"we don't get it. You have to spell it out for us. Hinting, clues, all that, not gonna work."

Yeah big duh on that one!

she brought a skunk into your place? you are a very tolerant person. wait, no you're not. whats the deal?

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Mike said...

It was descented, at least.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh well in that case...its still a freaking skunk!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Mikey, you are the only one who could have a skunk in his apartment and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Tha should tell you something.

How do you feel about going to Brooklyn? You can stay with me:)

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jules said...

Mike, can we trade lives for one day? :-) Yours sounds quite a bit more interesting than mine.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jules said...

And I am so going to get a hamster and name him Beerbuddy, just for you.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Skunks and hamsters! I am not sure I have had enough coffee yet for all of this! LOL. I am sure you can get Alex to let you stay unless you have been naughtier than you and her have told us! If she says no you are welcome to stay with me although you would have a hell of a commute. But I would be worth it! :)

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with amy. A fraeling skunk?!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger kacey said...

Mike, it's nice to hear a guy admit it. Now if only they all would....

I give away secrets of the sisterhood sometimes, to the poor schmucks I work with to help them out. Hope I don't get my membership revoked.

You have a real problem on your hands, don't you? Your place is looking like something the Guggenheim threw up, there's a skunk hanging out, a current and a psycho ex... no wonder you have a headache. Come to Jersey. There's no woodland creatures or emotionally disturbing artwork here. ;-)

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger bogusboobs said...

I'm going to have to agree with the sisterhood on this one, Michael. You are NEVER getting your place back. It's time to forfeit the security deposit (as IF!!) and find some new digs.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger kacey said...

lol, allie. You're talking illegal with a...cop

:-)

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger ann said...

ok Mikey, here's the deal.

you seem frazzled, confused and totally lost.

take a break.

come here until your place is vacant once more. I have a lovely spare room while Rachel's away, and it's my bathroom that had the flood, not the guest one ......

of course you would probably prefer to be here if Rachel was in town, but you'll just have to put up with the mother instead

sorted

lotsa luv ann mwahx

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger ann said...

p.s. it's great when you post a long'un .... means I get to hear all of Alison Kraus ~ it's lovely

lotsa luv ann xxxx

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Nomi said...

I would've thought the company of the skunk would have been preferable to the company of the shrew...

LMAO! It's Monday morning here, and you just gave me one hell of a good laugh. Thanks heaps, Mike! 8D

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

Ok, I know Alex, not extremely well, but I know her. If she likes Kate, I'll be SHOCKED. I haven't even met the woman, and she gets on my last nerve!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Kara -
I am dead serious. They were out on the fire escape. Prices around here are way outta line.

And Chloe? I've got no damn clue here. Kate's the only one talking about it, so who'm I supposed to beleive?

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

Mike, I adore you, but you have several of your rusted and bent screws loose if you think your current and your ex are going to get along. Not until they are both your exes, then it is a sisterhood. But not before. Not now, not ever.....Sheesh what are you thinking?

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Dogs aren't that bad - I like dogs...but do you see how out of control things are when I'm here? What could go wrong if I left? I shudder to think!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Hope you weren't expecting your security deposit back...KD has probably smeared upside down pentagrams in human blood all over the back wall of a closet.

And dude! I'm from Alabama, deep south Alabama, and even WE know not to eat skunk. Possums, if they're freshly killed. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home