Thursday, January 12, 2006

Afternoon Distractions with a Glass of Whine

First things first. Deb's been in an accident. Drop by and give her a line, or ask Janice for details. I hear she'll be ok, but a note from friends is always good. What I like about you guys is the way you support each other.

What I don't like? These games of tag. I keep saying I'm not gonna do 'em, and then you ask, and how can I say no? As you might have guessed already, "Just say NO" is not really my thing. And I do appreciate the attention - ok, I LOVE attention...
Don't I make enough trouble on my own? Now if you wanted to play strip flashlight tag out on one of those golf courses, that, I wouldn't mind. Or you could make like Amy, my own personal Kitty Kelly, and just ask.

However, I bow to peer pressure. Kara, Riccie, Janice, I will give in. Next time, I warn you, you get nothing but snippets of poems, or movie quotes or bad haiku.

Addictions, hunh? I want to contest that phrasing. I have habits and preferences, which I can discontinue anytime I want to. However, I prefer not to.
Certain things I consider needs - so eating, drinking and "having it off" are not on this list. You heard me.

There are ones better left in the past for personal and professional reasons. It is no longer always 4:20 at my place, sadly. And I had a really good signature move that my back no longer cooperates with.

With that said, here you go:

First, stories. I love stories. Hearing 'em, telling 'em, reading them, watching them, true ones, tweaked ones, ones that never happened. It's part of why I'm a detective. I like to know what happened and why.

Next, poetry. Real stuff, and its bastard cousin the song lyric. Don't know why, I just do. Hey, I'm Irish; you scratch us and we bleed poetry and alcohol.

After that? Answering questions I guess. I can't resist it for the most part. If you'd asked my Gran, she'd swear I'd had a geas laid on me to spill the beans. I think Catholic school gave me a taste for the confessional - that and a bit of fun with corporal punishment. Not that I always tell the truth, but I do say something. Most of the time. The flip side of this is I love avoiding things, so I'll do it - but I'll do it at some nebulous later. Like a great man said, "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

What else - Messing with people. I usually get it out of my system at work, with the perps. But I love the moment when they know you've got them, and it creeps over their face....I also people-watch for that reason, and ask people questions in all-night diners when they're obviously trying to write bad poetry.

Finally, I've been told I tend to polish stuff off almost compulsively. I got called "the Bogart" for a while - it was a joke based on the mythical critter called a boggart - but in this case, in addition to all the other lousy tricks, the Bogart was an oversized jerk who ferreted out your stash of whatever, and said he'd get the round next time...Hey, I've quit. I don't know who ate all the doughnuts this morning.

Oh, and I added new music. Maybe used CDs are addictive...as is imposing your taste upon others.

Note: Now I've seen it all. There are mome raths in the world. 'Tis surely a wonder, and that's no lie.

14 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger kacey said...

yes, but what is "outgrabe"?

As for 4:20, is that from the movie "Beyond Therapy"?
(Tom Conti -"....it must be twenty after....")

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...strip flashlight tag on a golfcourse...hmmm...my brain is going into overdrive...

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger ann said...

hmmmm ..... guess what, no, who I'm addicted to and it's not a million miles from here .... and .... damn you Mikey, that bloody James Blunt .... is there Goodbye my Lover Anonymous out there?

"I have seen peace, I have seen pain, Resting on the shoulders of your name. Do you see the truth through all their lies? Do you see the world through troubled eyes? And if you want to talk about it anymore, LIe here on the floor and cry on my shoulder, I'm a friend"

mwahx mwahx

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger kacey said...

For all eternity I'd be your slave and make your dreams come true
If you grant the one request that I ask of you
Could you love and worship me? Give yourself over to me Need me and desire me, and yours shall be all you see....

kc...The Bridge '89

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger kacey said...

yeah, I do the poetry thing too :D

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger kacey said...

One more, for Mike

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
Drugs cause cramp(s);
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

do ya know the author?

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Deb Walsh said...

Thank you Mikey I am going to be OK lots and lots of bruising and pulled muscles in my back and bruises on my chest from the airbag. But I an so upset my car is totaled I loved my car it was in great shape running great my Mechanic said it was the best car I have ever had. the intire front passengers side is demolished. and my Mechanic says the frame is bent.
So it is gone forever.
But Thank you for the post and the card and all when I am feeling better I will post and let everyone know what is happening.
:)

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Kacey - it is of course, Dorothy P, my ain true love, and the title is "Resume"

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger kacey said...

:D Mike !

Everyone stop by and see the quotes.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

Mikey- why did you have to burst my bubble. I loved the mome rathes. Who will the Cheshire Cat sing about now? *my brain is hurting*

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Shadow of a Joke said...

What else - Messing with people. I usually get it out of my system at work, with the perps. But I love the moment when they know you've got them, and it creeps over their face....I also people-watch for that reason

I have that problem, I'm sure it's a bad thing butI love doing it, and I can't resist grinning from ear to ear when they discover that you've got them.

I'm sure it's not a good trait.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

Mikey, my boy, if you canna spot a wee wizzing around yer head an offerin' advice. Ev'ry blasted day o' your life, then, sure 'an you will never see a mome rath.........Not unless you become quite the student of history. Most books published at that time frame were actually political satyrs hidden in children's literature....So were most of Mother Goose's little rhymes.....But, it is immensly more pleasurable to give in to the fantastic and accept that a mome rath is a fuzzy little thingy. ;)

By the way, you are a good friend to have. :)

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

Meant to say wee person...oops!

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Mike said...

And I got a kick out of the "satyrs" - was that your freudian slip showing, m'dear?

In fact, what I love about that poem and its follow-up in the book is that it pokes fun at the very basic ways we learn things....inferring, memorizing and asking, all three of which don't quite pan out for our heroine.

Glad you're back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home