Friday, January 13, 2006

Bad Wisdom

What I hate the most about these dreams is the way you know things in them. How this info springs to mind, and you have a whole story that your head - which has made up this vivid hellshow for you in the first place - won't let you wriggle out of. Sometimes, it even lets you in on the secret that you are actually only dreaming, but it drags you along kicking and screaming anyhow.
And there're the ones that happen again and again, even ones where they aren't exactly the same, but you know what's going to happen - like they're on the same map, and you remember, suddenly, in the last one this happened there, and you know the directions to the imaginary spot....

Like this one, where I knew Kate was gone. I was standing in the apartment, and it looked like it did after she tore out of there for the last time, but I knew she'd done it later this time. And if I needed proof, I heard that voice behind me again.

"She left us." I know it's a dream, so it makes sense that this kid can talk to me in a sensible manner, despite looking what, three, four maybe? I don't know, some undefinable age.

"Aw, baby, no, she'll be back," and I have the horrible image that maybe Kate won't because she took the other kind of exit - but I skip past that because the kid is staring me down.

Young as she is, she's got long dark hair that marks her out as mine. I have a momentary absurd impulse to apologize for the beak she's gonna end up with, but I stifle that fast. She looks at me with a face that's mostly Kate's, but Gran's eyes, too old for her time, knowing far too much too soon. "She won't be back. Not ever."

I should go over to her, say something, but she's pinning me to the wall with that look. She's got a stuffed dog that I know I should recognize, and it seems to be making her angry, as she backs away. "I hate you."

"Don't say that, baby, please. It'll be all right." Why can't I think of her name? That's right, I remember, she never got one.

Like she can hear that thought, she reacts again. "No, I didn't. You did that. I hate you." She breaks into a run, and I follow her out to the hallway, which is impossibly long and drops into darkness. I can't catch up, but I try, as fast as I can until there's just a gaping hole at my feet... I stop, but not fast enough, and I know I'm about to fall, I can feel the vain twist backwards I'm making to stop it, but...

I wake up. Not screaming, just that fucked up awake where you can't get for a minute where the real world went -and then you have to adjust to the fact that no, this is real, that wasn't - but you can't quite convince yourself of that yet. All you can do is roll over and try to wait for the morning, as if that'll solve things.

I can't expect Alex to understand. How could she? Sooner or later, if she doesn't leave, she'll want what I can't give her, won't she? How is that fair - to her, to myself, to any of us?

12 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I am so sorry Mikey. that dream sounds horrible. But you have to understand something.

Alex is not going to leave. She will understand. But you really have to explain.

Alex is a great person. She does not do anything without explain why she did it. She will not leave, at least not before telling you why. But, by that time, it will be too late. Do not, I repeat, do not screw this up.

Remember KD=past, Alex=present and hopefully FUTURE!

~Sara

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Mikey. If I am correct in my reading between your lines, what horror you must feel inside. My heart hurts with you.
For a long time, it thought nightmares were the norm. I hated having to go to sleep, and I think sometimes echoes of my past are the reason I am still up into the wee hours of the night. It is of no comfort to me to know that someone else endures that pain. I wish you well, my friend.

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pls forgive the typo- it=I

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger kacey said...

you've rendered me speechless.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Axe said...

What exactly is it that you can't give Alex?

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger ann said...

Mikey, Mikey, why can't you expect Alex to understand?

There's a very simple expression:

"If you don't ask, you don't get"

you won't know if you don't try ... and the nightmares, we all have them, that's par for the course; it's called beating yourself up.

take care of yourself, Mikey

lots luv ann xxxxx

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fin, dude, it's called inner angst. It's not like he's crying in his beer at work....

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

If you are not honest then you can be 100% sure of not working things out but by being honest you have a shot at it and that is worth something. Talk to her. :)

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

poor thing. I wish I could help you. :^(

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Faye_Hart said...

You guys lost a kid? Oh, Mikey, that explains so much....I've miscarried more than once..my sympathies.

Plus, Alex knows what it is like to lose a child she carried and to lose a mate permanently...I think she has more depth than you credit her with. Not to mention, she is too together to waste her time on someone she doesn't think highly of. Share...Shared burdens are always easier carried. :)

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Mike, I know what you're feeling, I've been in the same boat. Your subconscience will beat the crap out of you if you let it.

Great....two hours sleep, and now you got me thinking about my daughter....Don't worry, I still loves ya.

I hope things get better. I just got my bonus, I'll buy you a beer!

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Mmm. Beer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home