Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It's the End of the World As We Know It

But I feel fine. Munch is another story. It turns out he went to this swanky restaraunt to treat himself - he claims that nobody can truly enjoy an overpriced meal unless they eat alone, because otherwise, there's too much pressure to enjoy yourself - and while he doesn't bat his eye at a $8 scoop of ice cream served in a martini glass, the appetizer was too much, even for him.

"Twenty. Dollars. For a [expletive deleted] pretzel!" He was still incoherent with rage three days later.
"Must've been some pretzel, then, hunh?"
"How would I know? I didn't stoop to their level! I'm not falling for their designer snack food! That's what's wrong with this city - no, this country, hell with it, this is the downfall of western civilization."
"It's just a preztel, John." I shouldn't have said that.
"That's the whole point! Don't you see..." That's when I held the phone away from my ear for awhile. I disticntly heard the phrases "marxist economics," "grey aliens" and "cuba libre" - I didn't ask why. I sat there for twenty mintues, and when I heard, "automat," I knew he was winding down, so I told him I'd talk to him tomorrow.
The worst part is, I'm not sure I got the name of the restaraunt, and now I really wanna try this pretzel. I mean, for $20? That's gotta be some pretzel, right?

5 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Nomi said...

I suppose if it's a good enough pretzel...
See, now I can't talk. I turn my nose up at buying a $1.50 chocolate bar over the road, and yet I'll go into a specialty shop and spend $30 without batting an eye. It's all about quality, not necessarily the cost.

Tell you what you do, Mike. Next time you talk to Munch, tell him you want the name of the place so you can boycott it. Then sneak off there when he's not around.

Oh, and I'm really glad you're feeling ok.

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A $20.00 pretzel would make my pocketbook run away from me...and I'm not cheap when it comes to good food. I guess even I have my limits.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger MartyF said...

I dunno, they serve pretzels at the Tribeca Grill?

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger ann said...

... hmmm ... maybe it's a kosher one!

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Oh, I care. I care a great deal...hmmm. I'm plotting my weekend already.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home